Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Out of My Element (sort of)

I moved from the north to the south of the US many moons ago.  I've since met a wonderful man that I married and I have a beautiful daughter who is a southern native and we live in a beautiful part of the world very near ocean.  Needless to say, I never went back to the colder, harsher, climes.  Even though I've now been here a long time, I sometimes still get asked, in the congenial Southern way, "You're not from around here, are ya?"   I'm not offended, just reminded that I may be a "local," but I'm not a native.  

This is almost EXACTLY how I feel as a Computer Science/Technology Teacher's Assistant.  I come from a very different background into the world of teaching and computer technology.  In my business education and corporate career, my generation was at the beginning years of technology and while I embraced it and loved it, I had ZERO understanding of how it was created or what it could do.  I'm local to using tech but I'm not a native in its formulation.

I am thrilled at this chapter of my life and embrace all of its challenges, changes, and excitement!  I know my title is Coding Teach, but I'm as much of a learner of code (and other cool stuff) as anyone else. And as the saying goes, "If I can learn it.  Anyone can".



No comments:

Post a Comment